Pong 5: The Egyptians; People With Animal Heads


For Pong 5 all the players went with random civilizations, and I drew Egypt.

I was hoping for a militaristic civilization after playing an isolated, island-bound Korea in Pong 4. I barely fought last game, the majority of my battles were a handful of modern-era naval engagements and nuking my own territory to buy myself the handful of turns I needed to make it to Mars. I was hungry for war this time around.

While I believe that each civ is what you make of it and that Egypt could be a fine military power with their Maryannu Chariot Archer, the primary foci of the civ are trade, gold, faith, and district/wonder production. As a self-admitted wonder-spammer, I know before the first turn loads that I'll probably be playing a builder again.

Session 1

A pretty decent start. Lots of food, a decent number of hills, and some Stone that I can quarry or harvest.

My planned build order is still the same, Slinger -> Monument -> Builder.

I go for Mining first to make use of that Stone as soon as possible.

The first session of this game was before the Spring patch, which contained the Magnus nerf. We all know it's coming at this point, but I figure it's still worthwhile to get a few un-nerfed chops out of him. Plus, Vertical Integration is pretty amazing for the late-game.


Good land to my south, including another river, and four different luxuries (SugarGemsWine, and Amber.)


I pop a hut and sigh. The eureka for Masonry (building a Quarry), is something I'm guaranteed to do early with all that Stone I have.

I also discovered a Natural Wonder while moving onto the hut, The Giant's Causeway. When I went to take a screenshot of the history timeline, I noticed something odd: that hut seems to have also given me a free population.

Indeed, Ra-Kedet does have an extra population.

I scratch my head a bit and figure this is a bug.

In any event, finding The Giant's Causeway so close to my capital is very interesting. If I'm willing to march my units past it after building/upgrading them, they'll have a +5 combat strength. Maybe I'll be going military afterall!

First government is Discipline and God King.

I haven't built any scouts, so Discipline was obvious, even though I haven't seen any Barbarians yet.

I went with God King because Egypt has a strong faith play with Sphinxes, and I'm interested in trying out religion a bit after watching Nate struggle with it in Pong 4. I haven't really seen the new Guru units used in a "religious war."

There we go. Barbarians!

The Giant's Causeway seems to be in an inconvenient spot, a corner. It's not in a place that my units will likely march past on the way to the front, but something they'll have to go out of their way to visit before leaving. Meh.

Planning out my cities, I figure I can at least use it the boost the Holy Sites of two later.


Let it be known that Egypt is a power that seeks to civilize this world, and rid it of violent barbarians.

(RP'd in Discord)

I'm pretty sure that's the scout from the camp I just cleared, but a little worried it may not be.

Egypt. Rivers. An Industrial City-State.

The game wants me to build wonders.

Buenos Aires is an interesting city-state. Bonus resources like the Stone, Rice, and Cattle in Ra-Kedet could count as luxury resources. Combined with the luxuries I have already, this would be a lot of happiness.

Shortly after, we discover Kabul, and I notice that I didn't get a free envoy. Another civ has met them, and it's only turn 17. Someone must be nearby.

Kabul is another really good city-state, giving their suzerain double XP for battles they initiate.

It's Nate and his Mongols. I shudder at the thought of a Kabul-powered Mongol Horde as my northern neighbor.

Nate offers me a declaration of a friendship, and tries to send an envoy. I accept the former, and reject the latter.

There's not much to the friendship at this point, but it should at least prevent him from sneak attacking me with rushed units.

Buenos Aires fucks me out of a hut. Nate's promotionless scout has already moved this turn, and is 2 turns away from it. If the BA warrior wasn't there, it would be mine, but it was not meant to be.

For all my thoughts about how great my land was, the Settler Lens doesn't look so good.

I had originally planned to head south with my first Settler, but finding water south and Mongols north, I decide to settle northward, nestling a city between the two mountains and behind some rough terrain.

RIP Unknown City State.

Based on RP on Discord, I believe Germany is responsible for this.

Nate's Mongols have faith? For a moment I wonder what he's up to, but he announces later on Discord that the Mongols have found Crater Lake. It may just be inadvertent. I don't expect Nate to go very hard with religion after his last game.

A turn 23 Hanging Gardens. Someone is out-wondering me!

I rush buy a Trader as soon as I get the civic, and start trading with Kabul for some bonus production.

Zar crosses the borders of Kabul, and I meet France.

Zar has proven himself as a capable warmonger in Pong 4, so my decision to settle northward and ensure I have a defensible position is redoubled.

In roleplayed conversations on Discord, I discover that France and Mongolia are already at war. Nate claims that the French attacked his scouts as soon as they met, and Zar warned me about spies embedded with the Mongol traders, claiming the pre-emptive attacks were to prevent them establishing themselves in French cities.

Cash money! And a little production.

I always try to have the cash on hand to rush buy my first trader unit and get the gold flowing ASAP.

For my Pantheon, I go with Desert Folklore. I thought about Stone Circles for a while, but I have more deserts than quarryable resources, and I figure there's more desert to the southwest.

Another militaristic city state.

Valletta lets you build Encampment buildings with faith, which is pretty interesting. Cheaper walls is also good.

Another militaristic city state.

Preslav has a loyalty-related effect based on the number of districts a city has. That seems pretty useful for keeping larger cities you conquer.

So... Three militaristic city states. That's an obscene amount of potential production for units. Early game, three envoys can get you +6 in your capital if you spread them out. Late game that can be +12 to your cities with Encampments as well.

Walking my settler northward.

With a pantheon founded, I swap God King for Colonization so I can start to fill out more of my land.

Based on the fact that Mongolia and France both came from the other side of those 2 city-states, I'm not too worried about them forward settling me, but I still have an urge to get my cities down as soon as I can.

I accept Nate's 2gpt to open my borders to him. Early game, I'll take every gold I can get. He could probably get a good picture of my land even without open borders. Letting him scout me out a bit more is worth it.

I'm nowhere near him yet, so I don't get anything for him opening them back up to me. 

Barbarians in the south are restless. I rush a Slinger to help deal with them.

Two encampments to destroy.

Ahhhh! The scout lured me out to find Warriors! I begin to regroup, fall back, and take this assault a bit more seriously.

I buy a Warrior to beat back the barbarians.

Hey, look! Non-militaristic city states! 

While I'm working on slinging Barbarians to death, Australia finds me. RPing on Discord, I find out they are from the far west.

Desert Folklore at work! Plopping down my first Holy Site.


Magnus chop! 1-turn Holy Site.

I switch off of it before it completes though, because I don't want the Era Points yet.

Barbarian Archer! Bad news!

My scout eats it.

Another pop for Ra-Kedet. Getting pretty big!

I'm a sucker for trade route quests. Even though it's less gold, I take it hands-down. Free envoys rock.

Looks like we're going dark, boys and girls!

I've really come to believe that a Dark Age in the Classical Era is more beneficial than detrimental. Unless you're right up against another civ, the loyalty effects don't matter at all, and getting a Dark Age dedication (which all give bonus Era Points for doing something) ensures you'll be able to swing into a Heroic age next.

Yeah, the Settler Lens really isn't looking too great.

Major cities to the South and Southwest, two clustered around the Giant's Causeway, and then not a whole lot else.

Mongolia and Australia go Normal (the chumps!) and France and I go Dark.

I choose Free Inquiry as my dedication bonus, because I figure it's easy enough to pop eurekas early on. Monumentality is always a good second choice, but as I only have two cities I don't know how many districts I'll be able to build.

In one of my last Magnus-Chops, I get a 1-turn Settler, and the rest of a warrior.

Bold move, Spearman!

I begin to get things in hand in the west, but the east picks up steam.

I rush another Slinger to handle the barbarians.

This is more rushed units than I'd like at this point. I'm missing out on rushed workers and settlers as a result, but I've got to keep these barbarians in check or I'll pay for it.

I still have more than enough money to upgrade my three Slingers to Archers right when Archery pops. They all head home to heal up and upgrade.

Mongolia is involving city states in their war with the French.

Map pins are real fun, but I wish they didn't poke through the fog like this. I shouldn't be able to see these until I've explored the area.

Mongolia wants more intelligence on me for their inevitable horse raiding. No thank you!

Great People at the end of the session. 

I'm (barely) leading the race for a Great Prophet, and not in the running for anything else. 

I'm surprised at how far along the Great Scientist race is! Lots of people going with an early Campus?

Egypt on turn 46.

Mongolia and the various city states of our North.

Science and Civics. Nothing too interesting here.

Timeline

City Report.

Decent production in both cities. Good growth in the capital. Decent culture. Working on faith. 

Already hitting housing problems in both cities.

Military Strength

Science. Australia is crushing it.

Leading culture.

Doing alright in Faith. Surprised to see France so high! Must have a real good adjacency bonus on a Holy Site, or a natural wonder helping out.

City States. This world was made for war.

Session 2

The barbarians march on Ra-Kedet!

Though this is an imposing show of force, with Archers we now have this well in hand. The unorganized hordes will eventually fall to our superior tactics.

For my Tier-1 government, I chose Oligarchy. I did this mostly to lock in the Oligarchic Legacy that gives a combat bonus to units, since I figure war with Mongolia is an eventuality. It will also help me quell the barbarians!

I'm also a little tired of playing a Classical Republic opening, and wanted to try something different.

The only interesting card is Strategos. Again, expecting war, I figure I should have a Great General lined up.

France is now at war on two fronts! And by their own doing, it would seem!

Barbarian pacification well underway. Lake city within reach of the natural wonder to be settled next turn.

I swap out my settler production bonus for Corvee, my traditional Wonder Whore policy.

I built this unique chariot to help patrol the south to keep newly spawned barbarians in check, and to up my military strength in the eyes of my neighbors. I probably should have held back on it though, because I didn't need to pop that +4 era score yet. I'll overshoot the heroic age.



Valletta has finished their Encampment, making that trade route worth more production, so I choose it again.

Part of me would rather have roads to more cities, but production bonuses in my capital are too good to miss out on.


In order to honor a Mongolian scout that sacrificed his life during the barbarian uprisings near Ra-Kedet, our newest southern city was named after him.

(I fixed the lus / lis mistake later. Derp!)


France and Germany are both human-controlled civs! Some serious stuff is going down in the fog.


I dove for Mathematics because I have a bunch of desert. I start Petra in Memphis, but without any tile improvements it's going to take a long time! I get a worker over there soon enough.

I swap out the Great General points for +1 production everywhere, mostly to help speed up Petra.


Always rushing traders! I do this one from Memphis, hoping for that sweet +2 production from Valletta.


I found a religion! All hail People with Animal Heads!

I pick Tithe because I plan to spread my religion a lot, and I want to maximize my gold. I've been focusing on Commercial Districts and plan to have a large number of trade routes, and that plus Tithe should keep me swimming in gold.

I chose Reliquaries to help bridge the Religious play into a Cultural one for an end-game win. With any luck, I'll have loads of Martyrs from Mont St. Michel.


Anything to keep Mongolia from horse-murdering me.

Here's some of that horse-murdering I was afraid of.

Goodbye, non-militaristic city state.


Nate/Mongolia messaged me on Discord and let me know that Kabul was slaughtering Buenos Aires as part of a proxy war between Mongolia and France.

I should have acted faster and positioned myself to take the city. Kabul ended up razing it, and I r-settled the area later.


I overshot the Heroic Age by a good deal, but that's alright.

For my dedications, I take everything but the culture one. Looking back, taking it in place of the Evangelist one may have been a good idea, since I didn't have the faith generation to spam Missionaries yet, and I can't buy workers with faith if I also want missionaries, but it turned out fine.


With Magnus' promotion, settlers don't cost pop in his city. I've got a decent cash flow, and rush one to re-settle Buenos Aires.

I had to harvest the copper to clear the spot, but I got a +5 faith Holy Site next to The Giant's Causeway.


This swap was, again, primarily to help Memphis get Petra done. The +10% towards wonders helped a good deal.


Science and Civics.

I've got Apprenticeship, and I'm going to start Industrial Zones soon.

I also went for Military Tactics incase the horse-lords of the north came to visit me.


Great People.

I'm on track for a Great Merchant, but I don't much like Jakob Fugger. I'd pass on him.

Russia is being Russia, and crapping out cultural GPs. My plans to go Religious > Cultural will face an uphill battle, as Russia is a solid civ for both.


Spreading out the titles. Nothing too interesting.


History



Victory and Score Screens


I'm close to last in number of techs, but I've got my science per turn higher than most other players. I'll catch up soon enough.


Russia is KILLING ME in faith! I thought I was doing alright, but their natural inclinations are mopping the floor with my efforts.

City States.

I have no reason to invest more than 1 in any of them at this time. Most of their bonuses strike me as meh at this point, and I don't have the district buildings to make use of the 3-envoy bonuses.


Egypt at the end of Session 2


Session 3


While waiting for the other players to load, I take a look around the map and notice that Australia has a pretty large army just wandering around. I'm a little worried it might come for me, but Mr. Curtin seems to like me well enough.


Looks like there was a settler race going on over here!

There's so much of the world we don't see. While dealing with barbarians in our south, we neglected scouting.



Keeping Australia happy, even though that's a fairly shitty trade for my Amber.


Extending our Friendship (and peace!) with Mongolia.


Trading with my new friends in Sumeria! mmmhh.. Spices!


Okay? This is...good? I don't know.


Egypt shakes off the old Autocracy and becomes a Theocracy. Now our people will be led by the High Priests of People with Animal Heads!

I begin to re-focus my empire on Faith at this point, planning to spread PWAH far and wide.

I use my Wildcard slot to start getting a Great Writer, to up my culture game. I'm hoping to turn a strong religious game into a cultural victory later on, and you can never get started too early!


Related to the above, while looking for trades I noticed that Cyrus has a Great Work of Writing, and that he was willing to part with it for 38gpt.

That's a decent chunk of change, but I'm sitting at over 100gpt right now, so I decide to pull the trigger. I end up doing this several times during the game.


Big doings in the Midlands. Seems like a Military Alliance, focused on France.


I finally cave, and give Mongolia an embassy. He allows me to place one as well.


Techs and Civics.

I dove Printing for the Forbidden City. I *love* the wonders that give extra policy card slots. Banking doubles down on my commercial-hub-heavy cities. I'm working on getting guns for defense.

Civic-wise, the biggest change is my dive for Theocracy, the government that will carry me through most of the game, and the inevitable religious wars I'll be fighting. I want Humanism next, so I can start working on the second-tier cultural district buildings.


People With Animal Heads dominant in 22 cities. 🦁


Great People.

I love that Great Merchant! I've been planning a Commercial Hub in Apu, and it'll be great to get a free Market and Bank in it, and the extra "wildcard" Great Work slots are awesome!



The Gov Squad.

Went deep on Renya to push ever-harder on my focus on gold.


History


City Reports


Happiness and Housing


Scores


Top three scientific civs.

I've made up most of the difference in techs researched this session, and I'm the top science per turn.


Culturally, I'm kicking butt. I'm even beating Russia at this point. Most of this is from wonders.


Military Power. I'm definitely lacking here, and with all my wonders, I probably seem like a juicy target.

Fortunately, I'm pretty isolated, and far away from most human players. Mongolia is the only one I'm really worried about.


Russia and Persia both went Theocracy this session, and they're both clobbering me in faith production. I've been actively working on my Faith for a while now, and I'm still only HALF of what either of them make per turn. This seems like a massive hurdle to overcome.


Even though I'm lagging in Faith Per Turn, I've got the most converted civilizations.

I haven't seen any Persian or Russian Missionaries/Apostles, allowing me to spread into Australia and Mongolia without resistance.


City States.

I'm still not overly interested in any of them, but I'm starting to want more culture and will probably invest in those CSes soon.


I'm mostly trading with City States, but Mongolia is sending many of their trade routes to me. Since they're at war with France, I'm their only non-CS option. And the bonus food Egypt offers to trade partners has suckered him in! Each one makes another +2 gpt for me.



Three turns, five points left.

I'm about to finish the Colosseum, and previous-era wonders are worth three. Can I find two more points?



The World




Session 4


I add a belief to People With Animal Heads.

Holy Order is very tempting, as I've been spamming Missionaries and Apostles, but I really like the different religious buildings. I decide to go with Pagodas, because it seems like I need more faith per turn to compete with Russia and Persia, and I always find housing hard to come by.


... I did not find two more points, and enter a normal age.

Not the end of the world, but it stings to miss a golden age by so little. With no direct neighbors, I'd rather be in a Dark Age than a Normal one.

I go with Monumentality this time, because I've got a bunch of districts to build.


Heck yes! I save Giovanni for Apu's upcoming Commercial District.


I had feared them from the start, but somehow the Mongols became Egypt's closest friend. Our long history of trade relations led to this Research Alliance, making them even more profitable for both of us.


Mongolia and I both adopt Wisselbanken at about the same time, making our extensive trade even MORE profitable. At this point, I'm getting everything but Faith from trade routes.


Our previous trade deal expired (Amber for Spice), Sumeria offers Spice as a gift. We thank him profusely, and let him know that Egypt will always be there if he needs anything.


Look at dat trade!


Despite these words, he still seems to like me alright.


Australia, who I had all but fully converted at this point, founds Hinduism in Brisbane.

The cult is immediately under siege by the faithful of People with Animal Heads, and my Missionaries move swiftly to ensure the heretics are put down.


I'm sorry you side with the heretics, John, but it is God's will.

This makes his face go from Green to Yellow. It's the beginning of the end of happy go lucky relations with my western neighbor.


I was able to flip Brisbane back to my religion with a pair of Missionaries.

Hinduism did not spread to any other cities. I strangled it in its cradle.


Buying another Great Work, as my own accumulation of Great Writers has been slow going.


Apparently snuffing out small groups of cultists is frowned upon by the international order. Human-controlled Russia and England join the effort to banish Truth and Light from Brisbane.

I'm pretty excited about this, as it will be the first bit of "action" in the religious game I've been playing for four sessions now. England's Protestantism is fairly new and weak, but Russia's Falkanism has considerable support behind it, having spread into Sumeria and France.


The terrain is pretty favorable for me for defending my faith. A long mountain range separates Australia from English-occupied Korea. There appear to be only two passes through them. Even the cliffs to the west are rocky and largely impassable!


Only change is Medina Quarter, which gets me some more housing.


Russia's Cow-Faced Falkanism spreads throughout France and western Mongolia, but its influence is wavering.


Having not seen any religious units for several turns, I got cocky, and sent my Missionaries west. While away, Falkanites poison the mind of the Australians!


Finishing the Forbidden City, I get a bonus Wildcard slot, and put in Invention to get some Great Engineer points.


I convert Brisbane back, after 3 turns of not having People With Animal Heads dominant. There are 20 turns left in the emergency, and I need to keep my religion dominant for 11 of them.

I resolve not to slip up again.


Since Missionaries can't attack, I am able to effectively wall off the Russian Missionary with my own, keeping him away from Brisbane. But soon a Russian Apostle appears on the scene!


Swap out the Great Writer card for Religious Orders, giving my religious units +5 to theological combat. I'm going to need everything I can get to hold off that Apostle while my own make their way over.


The Falkan Apostle attacked one of my Missionaries, wounding him greatly. I was able to rotate him behind my other ones just as my own Apostle showed up, ready to debate.


Techs and Civics.

England is ahead of the pack tech-wise, but I'm just 4 turns behind.

In terms of Civics, Persia and I have broke out. I'm working on Natural History so I can get some Archaeologists. Next, I'll dive for Opera and Ballet to continue pushing my culture.


Dominant in 25 cities. Not a huge increase this session, but I've spent a lot of time defending things in Australia.


Great People.

Leonardo Da Vinci is pretty crappy, even for someone like me going for a culture victory. I'll pass on him.


My Great Works. All bought from the AI.


Governors. No change from last time, but I'm sitting on an unused promotion.


History


City States.

As noted last session, I'm ramping up my culture and got three of the Cultural CSes up to the 3-envoy bonuses.

I'm very surprised that Antananarivo doesn't have anyone pushing for their Suzerainship. I consider their bonus one of the best in the game! I suppose it's still early, but +2% culture for every Great Person you've ever recruited stacks up very quickly.



Trade Routes, both coming and going.

The Research Alliance and Wisselbanken are really paying off.


I've secured a Golden Age. How far will I blow it away?


Our Research Alliance has propelled Mongolia and Egypt to the top 2 spots in terms of Science Per Turn.


Culturally, I'm blowing the other humans away. Persia is doing pretty well.

My wonders are shitting tourism.


I spent some time building units this session, and I've surpassed Australia and England to tie Mongolia. France and Persia still outclass me, but I'm feeling a bit more secure.



I'm closing the gap in faith, but both Persia and Russia are still beating me pretty soundly.



Session 5


Sumeria declares war on Russia. Anything that diminishes their ability to spread Falkanism is good for me, and after some chat on Discord I decide to gift them some resources to bolster their offensive. Best of luck, friends! Burn those heathens!



A new Cultural City State! And with a low enough envoy count for me to steal the Suzerainship!

This is doubly-good for me, because I have the Kilwa Kisiwani. Being the Suzerain of 2 cultural CSes means I get +15% boost in all my cities!


Looks like there's a barbarian island west of Persia! Huts and camps to loot! I send over a chariot archer.

Since I already have my golden age, I try not to finish circumnavigating the globe, as to not to waste the era points.


I manage to kill the Russian Apostle, my own barely surviving.

A second one reaches Australia, and combined with my Missionaries block off a Russian Missionary.


Level 2 Research Alliance, free Eurekas.


Sorry, I guess?

He's on the other side of the world, so it doesn't matter much.


Our fair dealings with Sumeria have earned us a friendship. We stand with those who would resist the Falkanites.


Spying on the English! Stealing boosts.


Australia and England (both AIs, currently) have signed an alliance!

And somebody stole gold from me!


A Falkanite Apostle attempts to make its way to Brisbane, but is run off by overwhelming forces.

I got some use out of a Guru for the first time ever!


VICTORY! ~3,200 gold for me!

The "burst of pressure" didn't seem to do much, since so much of the surrounding area was already worshiping People with Animal Heads. I only noticed 2 cities flip to my religion.



PEW PEW! My Chariot Archer pops a hut, gets some Faith, and starts killing Barbarians.


I spent my religious emergency money on a Frigate, an Archaeological Museum, and an Archaeologist.


More boosts!


Egypt's first Martyr.


... and the same turn, Russia finishes Mont St. Michel, which gives them an endless supply of Martyrs.

I had a surprising ZERO floodplains, and only ONE Marsh, south of Chik-Chikpolois.


I fucked up and somehow circumnavigated the globe early, wasting 5 era points.


My religious units crossing the sea into England. After pushing out the Falkanites from Australia, I had a glut of units ready to crush Protestantism.

It folds pretty quickly as I attack from both sides.


I notice that Mongolia has built up a small cavalry force behind the main front of their war with France.

I worry a bit about this, but our Alliance should keep us at peace for a while yet. I plan to train some Pike & Shot in case he decides to be sneaky as the alliance expires.


Overshot by a good deal.

I go with Heartbeat of Steam for more wonder spamming.


Yi Sun Sin is a great admiral! The free ironclad will not only bolster my navy, but it will trigger the eureka for Steel without having to research Steam Engine.


Buying Pike & Shot with Gold & Faith.


I always keep some envoys in my pocket to win back the City States I really like. Antananarivo is too good to lose!


Techs & Civics.

I'm going for Economics for $ CASH MONEY $, and then plan to dive for Steel.

I'm ahead of the other humans in Civics, only Persia is with me, and Russia is a step behind. I've got a good head start on Broadway and Christ the Redeemer.


Up to 30 cities now!


Great People.

I still don't want Leonardo, and that Great Merchant doesn't interest me much either. PASS!


Got some of my own Great Writings, and I'm on my way to a themed Archeological Museum.


I was so busy moving Apostles that I totally spaced and didn't pick promotions after building the Casa de Contratacion. I've got FIVE of them unassigned! Ugh!

I decide to get Moksha up to Patron Saint next session, so that I might be able to get some more Martyrs.


When the session ends, Protestantism has been removed from all cities, and now only exists in a single Apostle and Missionary. That Apostle in Bradford has proven extremely powerful, and retreated before I could finish him off.


History.


The World.



Session 6


I round out my beliefs with Monastic Isolation. There weren't a whole lot of great options left, and this one seemed most useful for fighting the Falkanites. Now, even when I lose units in religious combat, I won't lose influence in the surrounding cities.


England went to war with France, and Russia went to war with England.

Tangled webs, and all that.


I got my first Relic! That's a lot of tourism!


Sumeria made peace with Russia with no gains. They seem to have been caught surprised when Russia used their faith to rush a bunch of units.


Sorry, Cyrus, I'm an art collector, and nothing I have is for sale.


The first city is exchanged in the millenia-long war between Mongolia and France!

Mongolia has been talking to me on Discord for a while about this everwar, and how it has changed recently. He claims that France has built up the largest army the world has seen in secret, putting the entirety of his production behind it. The Mongolian scouts were caught unaware, and the French line pushed forward into Mongolia.

We wished them the best of luck in their war, but refused to join in ourselves. I don't think France will be able to roll over Mongolia. I'd love to see their armies bash into each other and no serious gains be made on either side.


Oh no! My spy!

I try to negotiate for him back, get Tel to agree that "something" would be good enough to trade for the spy, but then promptly forget. He remains captured the entire game.


England joins Mongolia in a Military Alliance against France.

I'm not sure how this will play out in the Midlands. Mongolia probably won't be conquered, at any rate. Will France fall to the alliance?

Egypt wishes to maintain the status quo. We'd rather no one win.


A Falkanite Apostle waves at our own religious units as Protestantism is utterly destroyed.


Persia finishes St. Basils? That's got to sting for Russia!


Keep it rolling!


Artillery are on the field! I'm definitely behind in weapons technology.

France's push into Mongolia seems to have stalled, and he's fallen back to defend what he has taken.


I passed on the last Great Merchant, and got a pretty good draw on the next one! +25% Tourism is a big deal. I'll be going out of my way to get trade routes.


Techs & Civics.

I've got Infantry, but it seems like the other powers near me have Steel already, and are likely working on getting Tanks. I feel like I'm falling behind in weaponry.

Going for Democracy. I'll probably stay in Theocracy for a while yet, for the bonus faith, cheaper Apostles, and religious combat bonuses, but I'd like to have a solid tier 3 government ready to switch to. Professional Sports next.


36 cities!

At the end of Session 6 I actually start to believe that a Religious Victory is in the cards.

I had mocked Nate about it last game, because I didn't think it would be possible to convert a human opponent who had a religion and was serious about trying to stop you. It seems pretty easy to deny someone a victory by going to war with them, banishing heretics, and using Inquisitors to purge cities of enemy faiths as soon as they converted a city.

At this point in the game, the only enemy faiths are Russia's Falkanism, and Persia's Zoroastrianism. The AI will be easy enough to convert, but do I really have a chance to convert Russia?

... or maybe I should just destroy them?


Great People.

I passed on the last Great Engineer and get one I like! Wonder rushing, ahoy!

I'm slowly but surely getting Great Artists and Musicians.


It's quicker to just buy them from the AI.


Great Works.


History

Session 7



Australia is back to Friendly with me, after I crushed their religion.

I had been worrying about them going to war with me for no reason, or by being pulled in by a human trying to slow me down religiously / culturally, but it never came to pass. We're buds once more.


What a great year for Great People. Snatched 'em all up.


At this point, I've decided that I'm going to attack Russia, and have started to move the majority of my navy towards them.

Russia's Faith per turn has proven to be insurmountable, despite my best efforts with wonders, districts, and even my sphinxes. I can't catch them.

As mentioned before, I think it's a serious uphill battle to convert a human opponent, especially once with more faith. I decide that the only way to win is to eradicate the cities of the Falkanites.

At the very least, razing some of his cities will reduce his faith per turn, and his ability to resist my efforts to convert the world.

I'm sending a Settler to colonize that island nearby, allowing me to upgrade and heal my naval units, as well as rush some melee/ranged troops as needed.


My Policy Cards focus mostly on Tourism, Culture, and Faith.

I'm still in a Theocracy, and probably will be for a while.


Mongolia settles on a one-tile island with nothing but a few fish nearby?

Must be oil there I can't see!


With the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus my Great Engineer has three charges of his wonder-rushing ability. I use two of them on the Sydney Opera House, which is a huge boon to culture and Musical Work slots.


I'll take him! Again, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus gives me an extra charge here, allowing me to "retire" him once immediately to grab the bonus, while still keeping him around as an active Admiral.


There's a hut down there, but my scout gets murdered by a boat before he can pop it.


I've got no casus belli on the Falkanites, and declare a Surprise War. Warmonger penalties be damned. 

I did not get a screenshot of it, but my Ironclad saw a Russian settler heading to the island I had planned to colonize. I attacked it at sea, destroying it. I had thought I would have captured it, but maybe my linked Great Admiral messed that up.



Egypt earns another Golden Age, as do our Mongolian allies. Most others are normal, including the Falkanite Russians.

I opt for Wish You Were Here, still hedging my bets on a Religious Victory.


Parallel to my seaborne invasion of Russia in the north, I send over a small army of Apostles to Persia.

The first to arrive are actually veterans of the English conversions, with only 1 charge left each. They begin picking fights with Persian Apostles while backed up by a Guru.


Cyrus likes my surprise war with Russia. He won't for long.


Russia sends out a Frigate to investigate what's going on, and my own Frigates make quick work of it.

I have Steel now, but I need my Settler to show up before I can upgrade those Frigates to Battleships. I'm hanging back.

I talked about this at length in my later blogs for Pong 3, but I don't think anything changes the face of war in Civilization 6 as much as Battleships. Ranged attacks from three tiles away is an absolute revolution, allowing you to effectively siege coastal cities with impunity.

There's relatively little you can do against them if you're unprepared, and in many cases whoever can field a decent number of them before their enemies can score decisive victories.

I continue poking the Russian coastline with my Great Admiral, and don't see any more boats coming.


This is the only source of oil near my territory, despite a good deal of desert. I can't easily grab it by buying a tile, and will likely have to send a Settler.

If everything goes right, I might not need oil anyway.


I kill an Apostle, and continue scouting around with my early-arrivers while waiting for the rest of my Apostle army to arrive.

Moksha has been chilling in Memphis, creating a gaggle of 2-promotion Apostles.

I favor Prostelyzer (eliminates 75% of foreign pressure) and Translator (triple strength in foreign cities), as well as Orator (+2 spreads) and Pilgrim (+3 spreads if you visit a Natural Wonder; The Giant's Causeway is on the way.)

I get a decent number of multi-spread Prostelyzers, which makes me feel confident that I'll be able to convert Persia.



The Dark Age in France and Golden Age in Mongolia is having a noticeable effect on the loyalty of the cities France has conquered. Soon enough, they revolt, and Mongolia recaptures them.

It's refreshing to see the Loyalty system actually mean something in a game! It seems pretty easy to work around in single player, but in a head-to-head human battle, it appears to matter a lot!


Hearing of my hatred of the Falkanites, Sumeria discusses their desire to join in the war against their old enemy. We welcome them openly, and provide some Coal so that they can build their first Battleship.

We let them know that Egypt's efforts in the area will be primarily at sea, and that we will be able to support his invasion of anything near the coast.


It's hard to see because of the stupid pop up, but here I am using Gustav Eiffel to rush part of his tower!


I'm swimming in gold. I settle Iwnw, buy three sea tiles, and upgrade three Frigates to Battleships.

The shelling of Russia shall begin in earnest.



French-occupied Mongolia rebels!


Australia has grown unhappy with me, and attempts to recruit partisans near Memphis!

That would have been a bit annoying if it succeeded, but nothing I couldn't handle.


Level 3 Research Alliance with Mongolia. Now we get sped-up research on techs the other has researched, or is currently researching.

This cements me as the technological leader of the world, despite not investing a whole lot in Campuses.

I'm still lagging by a tech or two in terms of military units, but I have a bunch of economic and industrial techs no one else cared to get.


I moved a trader to Iwnw, hoping to trade with Sumeria and get that sweet sweet +50% tourism bonus, but I guess I need a harbor there to reach Ray. Oh well.


The opening salvos of the war with Russia. The city's walls and defensive strikes are shelled into oblivion. I hem his frigate in, leaving the only option for it to fire upon as the Ironclad.


One of my 7-charge Prostelyzers gets to work. He, combined with a "normal" Apostle easily flip the first Persian city.


I trade with France, the enemy of my ally.

I had avoided trading with them throughout most of the game in an effort to keep their war-based empire stagnant, and to keep Mongolia from being angry with me, but at this point I don't believe it matters, and I'll could use the luxury.


Sorry, Cyrus. Zoroastrianism is bullshit.


I do not intended to occupy the tundras of the Falkanites, not give them any chance of retaking the cities. This isn't a war, it's an extermination.


Russia sends a Cossack Corps to sea, to help defend against the Infantry I've landed in the west, looking for my next target. Moving quickly, the Egyptian navy is able to neutralize it.


A Spearman is free XP! And he won't have the chance to upgrade it to something better.

Vologda is bombardable from two tiles in the south.


The Russian Cossacks perform admirably against my Infantry. I was hoping to shell the crap out of it and march in without any resistance, but he's actually able to drive my infantry back.


I thought you LIKED my surprise war!

You burn ONE city to the ground, and suddenly you're a warmonger.


While my navy is occupied trying to support my Infantry against Russian guerrilla tactics, more Cossacks move from their mainland to the northern peninsula. I'm able to dent a few, but many make it there.


I don't have any "progress pics" because I was juggling a war with Russia with my religious expansion and fitting them both into the turn timer was rough, but five turns after flipping the first city, the entirety of Persia is converted to People with Animal Heads.

Those Proselytizers got shit done.

They have no more Missionaries or Apostles that I can see. Zoroastrianism exists only in Sumeria and a handful of City States.


Gracious for centuries of friendship, Sumeria is eager to help spread our religion in his lands. I convert Ray, and he takes it from there.


Stop stealing all my gold!

I'm so rich that the thief got a pretty good pay day!


The World


Lots of people are at about the same tech depth, but I've got more breadth than most. I haven't bothered to build any Aerodromes, but I've used Radio to build a handful of Broadcast Towers. I also haven't hooked up any oil yet, so no Tanks for me.

Civics-wise, I've all but finished the tree. Divine for Social Media for the Tourism card, but I'm feeling pretty confident in my religious win at this point.


46 cities! Everyone but Sumeria and Russia are converted at this point, despite a last-ditch effort by the Falkanites to spread their faith into France. A handful of our Apostles with decent promotions swept through and cleaned up their mess.


Great People.

I'll never see that General, and I'm not in the running for anything else.


My Great Works. Still have a ton of empty spots, and just the one relic!


Gov Squad.

Renya has her tourism-boosting top-tier ability, and is hanging out in Chik-Chikopolis, my best culture city.

Magnus should have Vertical Integration, but I forgot to assign the title with all the fighting and conversions. He'll get it next session.


History


City Screens



Session 8


The Egyptian navy starts working through the narrow northern passage. St. Petersburg is coastal, and conquerable with an Ironclad.

The fleet in the south is capable of bombarding all three of these cities.

An infantry Corps (soon to be Army) eagerly awaits an opportunity to assault Vologda, but my primary focus is the Russian capital.


No one rises to defend Persia. They are incapable of accomplishing this themselves, so it's a bunch of free gold for me if the game lasts that long.


I begin shelling St. Pete's, and pick off any weak units that make a showing for the free XP.


Sumeria and I make it official. Our war with the Russians is now an alliance.


After 2 turns of shelling, the Russian capital falls.


The conversion of everyone but Russia complete, Egypt finally leaves Theocracy behind, and becomes a Democracy.

I have three different trade route based policy cards in effect!

I also add Communications Office to help me hold St. Petes, which I can't raze since it's a capital.


Wrong, John. It's literally bringing me to victory!


I shell Smolensk from sea, and Sumeria rolls in with a Tank.

I had my own Infantry Army there in case he got held up.


City Strike, Field Cannon, Ironclad. Dead Cossack Corps.

Once Russia moved a bunch of Cossacks to that peninsula, I opted to go around to the other cities. As they attempt to cross the bays back to his heartland, I mop them up.


Sumeria seems to be having trouble with loyalty in Smolensk.

But, more importantly, Persia declared war on him! He informs me on Discord that he will regrettably have to fall back with his troops. I had hoped he would push on to Moscow (which based on his descriptions is presumably in the fog to the east), but it sounds like his offensive is at an end.

I should be able to get most of the Russian cities with my naval units, but he's got two or three decently far inland.


Burn... BURN.


Victor gives the city two shots. That, plus the Field Cannon and the Ironclad is enough to knock out the corps, even without any Battleship support.


Someone assassinated my Moneymaker! I wonder who it was...


This is the only Uranium near my original territory. There was some near St. Petersburg that I... inherited. If the game went on much longer, I'd have a tundra city.


Mongolia re-ups our alliance, ensuring that we shall never go to war.


Having killed three Cossacks Corps, Vologda is back on the menu. Four Battleships bombard it while my Infantry Army moves in.

His remaining Cossack Corps attacks it and falls back, but barely scratches them. They march into the city.


Eh. I pass, but it ultimately won't matter anyway.


Russia concedes, and retires from the game.

Seeing as they only have two cities left, I make peace with the AI so my Apostles can waltz right in.


VICTORY!


I'm extremely surprised that I pulled this off.

I was extremely fortunate to have a somewhat isolated start, and that my most threatening human neighbor (the Mongols) were constantly occupied with another enemy. They were at war the entire game, making me the only real trading partner the Mongols had.

Still, I had thought that converting the entire world in a multiplayer game would be impossible. I had been planning for a cultural victory since the beginning, and all but stumbled into the religious win during the sixth session.

I was able to destroy two religions before they really got going, and most of the players didn't focus on faith. The two religions that survived were right next to each other, on the other side of the world, and spent a lot of effort fighting each other and re-converting the same cities in Sumeria and France, while I had a solid handle on the east the whole game.

That's two wins in a row for me, both with peaceful, isolated plays. I'm certain the other players won't leave me alone next game, and I'm ready for that. I'm hankering for some WAR!



History.

For the end of game graphs, check out Nate's Pong 5 blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game 14 - Gamechat

Ping 2 - Gamechat

Pong 13 - Gamechat